Re: I'm no longer working on Octave

From: Benjamin Abbott
Subject: Re: I'm no longer working on Octave
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 07:10:20 -0400

On Apr 17, 2013, at 5:27 AM, am304 <address@hidden> wrote:

Paryshaan wrote
Hello John
I'm from Iran
It is not in my afford to buy a MATLAB license but I used it for about 5
years in university.

from about 8 years ago up to now, when i want to go to the MATLAB 's
website from within Iran, it says:

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.mathworks.com/" on this
server.
Reference #18.5560434d.1365280485.c499ebe

I don't know why they banned me to buy their software or use at least
their website, but there are many other websites which put last version of
MATLAB and its licenses for download and illegal use which is not illegal
in Iran.

It's about 1.5 year I'm working on a project and I chose octave for this
purpose. I faced lots of bugs and lack of abilities in OCTAVE compared
with MATLAB. but ...
I should say I really loved MATLAB but I don't know what to say about
OCTAVE.
This is a way for me to be honest in this world!
Many thanks to your God for giving me this chance.

I think this is because Iran is an ITAR-restricted country and MathWorks,
being an American company, is forbidden by the US government to do any trade
with Iran, as the software can potentially be used for military purposes.

There are broader sanctions as well.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._sanctions_against_Iran

Ben