Re: having trouble installing on new pc

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: having trouble installing on new pc
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:54:08 -0400

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
Would gladly send a donation to the foundation if I can get someone to help me get up and running.  I had a programmer write me a script that used Octave years ago.  He installed Octave on my PC and all I had to do was open a dos window type a few things and the script would run.  Looking at the version I had on my old pc the folder it was in was 3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0.

While I am an above average computer user getting this installed has been a nightmare and I haven't been able to get it to work.  My PC is running windows 7 Pro 64BIT so if someone could point me to a download link that would work and some instructions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Sal

Sal,

so, please confirm that I translated this correctly:

1 - you had an older computer that had Octave and some script that you need.
2 - you now have a new computer and want the same capability
3 - you are having trouble installing Octave on this new computer (with Windows 7)
4 - you probably want this ability to "open a _dos window_ and type _a few things_ and _the script_ runs'

1-3 are fairly straightforward. Here's a direct link to the program files you want:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.6.4%20for%20Windows%20MinGW%20installer/

There are 2 files you probably want:
Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2_20130408.7z  (base program)
Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2_pkgs_20130402.7z (packages / extra functionality)

There's not an 'installer program'. Those are zip files with the program. you would want to unzip them to a C:\Octave folder on your computer. this will create the program on your computer. there will be a shortcut in the Octave folder to start the program (in a dos-like window).  After unzipping everything, you need to go in the program and follow the step-by-step instructions in the
Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2_pkgs_readme.txt
file. (you just have to do this once.)

At that point you're set up and more-or less ready to go. Now, without knowing more about step 4, we really can't help you there yet.

Oh, forgot, if you need a program that can unzip something in .7z format, I suggest you check out http://www.7-zip.org/

I admit getting from the main Octave website to the location of the files to download for Windows is a bit of a cumbersome task, but if you have any trouble with the above instructions let us know.

Nick J.