Licensing compatibility - a closed-source dependency

From: Jan Hadáček
Subject: Licensing compatibility - a closed-source dependency
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 17:25:08 +0200

Hello,

I have the following problem: I wrote a thesis project in Octave and I
want to release it to public. It consists of a bunch of m-files
(Octave scripts) and one OCT file that contains some time-critical
code implemented in C++. I would like to release everything I made
myself under the terms of GPL.

However, the OCT module uses one routine from a proprietary library
and therefore has to be dynamically linked with that library. The
routine I'm using is an advanced computer vision algorithm developed
by my university.

The library is distributed for free but as a binary blob only, and no
viable alternative implementation of the method exists at the moment.
Is it possible to release my software provided that the binary blob is
distributed separately and has to be downloaded from the website of
it's authors by the end user?

I don't think my software classifies as a derivative work of the
binary library, since it could be easily replaced with a free
implementation and will be in the future. Moreover, some limited use
of my software is still possible without the binary blob.

I think my problem is an instance of this
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#FSWithNFLibs
and therefore it should be legally OK to release my work. Am I right?

Jan Hadacek