Qt Application with Octave distribution

From: Nicanor García
Subject: Qt Application with Octave distribution
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 17:35:02 -0500

Hello fellow users,

I'm going to tell you a little about my project to see if I did use Octave correctly or if there's anything I can improve.

I'm a student working at a research group, the goal of my project is to make a program aimed to a general audience (that is uses a GUI) and uses several Audio DSP techniques (mainly noise suppression algorithms), previously implemented in MATLAB, but in such way that no proprietary MATLAB software or functions were used. At first we thought on "translating" the programs to c++ and use an audio library, but doing further research we found Octave, and we noticed that all the programs we had worked perfectly in Octave.

We had experience with Qt, so we made the GUI using that framewok, and then went to research on how to do the processing using Octave. The solution we found was to use Octave in embedded mode (as it appears on: http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Standalone-Programs.html) to load the audio files (using wavread), do the processing and save the resulting signals into wav files.

The program is already in a good stage where everything works correctly, but we are aiming to improve it the next week (we have a holiday and some free days to work on it).

Do you think the use of embedded mode is the best solution? Should I try a different approach? If you need I can include some code, I decided not to as the program has several hundred lines of code.

The next step is to make a distributable, obviously under the GPL, on an initial search I found this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3843522/how-do-i-create-a-simple-octave-distributable-without-installing-octave

Can you please tell me more places where I can find more information about how to distribute this program?

Thank you very much.

Nicanor García O.