Re: GSoC 2013 GSoC application, student retention

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: GSoC 2013 GSoC application, student retention
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 21:07:49 +0100

Am 21.03.2013 20:46, schrieb Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso:
So let me ask you past students, and everyone else, what are we doing
wrong that is making you guys not stick around? How can we make you
feel more involved with Octave?

You're not doing anything wrong, I would say. My personal situation just changed dramatically as I got a full-time position now in a company that is growing very fast. My job in the automation industry is really not related to numerical computing :o) I have to learn and manage a lot of new things at once and when I'm coming home late in the evening I don't feel like turning my computer on and hacking on Octave, just want to "turn off my head".

Also, working with my "beloved" Qt development environment before the merge was a lot easier to me than working without it. (I don't claim that to be better, just that - in my particular case - I am familiar with it) In order to work efficiently on Octave again, I would need to examine a new way of developing practically. I am not sure if it does, but I hope that makes sense to you.

- Jacob