Re: Blank image() plot from Octave-3.6.4 on OS X with gnuplot-4.6.1 and

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Blank image() plot from Octave-3.6.4 on OS X with gnuplot-4.6.1 and aquaterm-1.1.1
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 20:52:14 -0500

On Feb 23, 2013, at 5:24 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> On 2/23/13 2:43 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> No, because I didn't have one handy.  This was in response to a bug
>>> report against what we currently have in the Fink distribution (well,
>>> really against Octave-3.6.3, since this was just before I added 3.6.4),
>>> and I gave the OP the links as well as suggesting changing the terminal
>>> type as a workaround.
>>>
>>> I'd rather not downgrade gnuplot globally unless I absolutely have to,
>>> since other packages use it besides Octave.
>>
>> I did try to patch Octave gnuplot code to append "failsafe" to the plot
>> command, but found that gnuplot would hang for your example.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't have a work around, but I'll give some more thought to it.
>>
>> Ben
>
> It wasn't hard to make up a package description for gnuplot-4.6.0, and
> the test case worked using that.
>
> Since I've got a ludicrously large gnuplot namespace (10 package names)
> already, I don't think I'll make up separate gnuplot-4.6.0 packages.
> It's easy enough for me to add 4.6.0 back as an additional option and to
> tell folks about the problem and workarounds in the user-visible package
> information for our Octave packages.

I let the gnuplot developers know.

        https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuplot/bugs/1188/

Ethan Merritt has suggested we try to revert the patch below.

http://gnuplot.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnuplot/gnuplot/term/aquaterm.trm?r1=1.43.2.1&r2=1.43.2.2

Do you have time to confirm that will fix the problem?

Ben