Re: Matlab compiled mex files in octave

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Matlab compiled mex files in octave
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 11:48:28 -0500

On 20 February 2013 11:43, Francesco Potortì <address@hidden> wrote:
>>Because the mex files are derivative work derived from Matlab.
>
> Why are they?  I do not use Matlab, so I in fact do not know.  I thought
> I had understood that mex files are produced by some sort of compiler,
> so they should not be subject do Mathwork's copyright, unless they
> contain some library or precanned code.  Do they?

Same reason libraries linked to Octave are derivative work of Octave.
This isn't something related to the GPL; this is just how copyright
law at least in the US interprets derivative work. In the case of the
Mathworks, I think they implicitly but not explicitly disavow
copyright on this sort of derivative work. It's been a while since
I've seen a Matlab EULA, but I don't think they provide explicit
permission to create and distribute mex files without restriction.

- Jordi G. H.