Re: Octave for Raspberry-Pi Microcontroller/Computer

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave for Raspberry-Pi Microcontroller/Computer
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 10:33:13 -0500

On 4 January 2013 10:20, edmund ronald <address@hidden> wrote:
> It is not "illegal" because there is no criminal law against it, just
> a license between you and Apple or Apple and the user.

No, it is quite illegal in some jurisdictions:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/25/3556740/copyright-dmca-jailbreak-unlock-mod-ruling

The ruling is that it's legal for phones, but not for tablets. Whether
they enforce it or not, does not affect the fact there are laws
against it in some jurisdictions.

> If they could they would already have done so.

There are tons of laws of this sort that are routinely broken but only
enforced when deemed convenient. The Mathworks does this too, allowing
students to violate Matlab's license until they go to work in
companies were copyright lawsuits are profitable.

> So I would suggest you release a build package for Octave for iPad,
> just as on the Mac, and let people who want to compile it or put it up
> on the jailbroken store, Cydia.

Your suggestion is noted, but I have no interest in following it. I
have no obligation to make sure that Octave is easy to install on
devices that do not respect user freedoms.

> And please stop warning people that things are illegal", because the
> whole point of democracy is that we have freedom rather than fear.

This seems like a non-sequitur.

- Jordi G. H.