Re: low level I/O (GPIB, USBTMC, VXI11)

From: Stefan Mahr
Subject: Re: low level I/O (GPIB, USBTMC, VXI11)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 23:18:50 +0100

Julien Salort wrote:
That makes 3 packages for the same purpose. However, I don't know about
yours, but mine uses National Instruments libraries for VISA and DAQmx,
and free libraries for FireWire cameras and Modbus.

> I guess the NI part is not compatible with octave-forge policy of not
> encouraging using proprietary software.

I wrote the toolbox for my work, where I use Windows and Linux. Since NI VISA is very complicated to install on Ubuntu - if even possible on actual 64bit installation - I had to find other ways. Besides that, I think linking to NI VISA would violate the GPL.

For linux you can talk to all instruments without using any proprietary software. For windows you still have a problem if you don't have serial or LAN based instruments or at least a VXI11-GPIB gateway.

Of course, the best way to communicate with instruments would be using the VISA interface, but you need a (working) free VISA library first.

Stefan