Re: equivalent for C-style init: structname varname[] = {...} ?

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: equivalent for C-style init: structname varname[] = {...} ?
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 13:08:04 -0500

> A bug was uncovered, a bug was patched.

As a work around is there some sort of builtin function that will convert an arbitrary string into an acceptable field? Maybe uuencode() to hex or something? Of course disp() is going to be less useful. This "bug" fix really seems pointless and annoying and having to work around your "fix" is unfortunate. All because you have to squabble with Serge and cannot accept criticism.

I honestly don't see what harm it was doing other than that Serge happened to bring it to your attention. A string's a string, yeah sometimes the interpreter can't handle some fields in some syntax -whooptedoo. Is that really a problem?--it's not like you can create them interactively like

   a.hello world = 1

There wasn't some sort of symmetry that's broken... but in the mean time we had a builtin associative array functionality that's now gone. I found it very handy, so I am sad.

--judd