Re: Acknowledge in paper

From: Ismael Diego Nunez-Riboni
Subject: Re: Acknowledge in paper
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 14:57:59 +0100

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 08:28:28 -0500
> Von: Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden>
> An: Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden>
> CC: Ismael Diego Nunez-Riboni <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Betreff: Re: Acknowledge in paper

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
> <address@hidden>wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Ismael Diego Nunez-Riboni
> > <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > I'm planing to submit soon a paper whose data I analyzed with octave
> and
> > though that an acknowledgement for the software would be a good idea.
> > Before I do it, I wanted to check that I do not use the wrong terms. How
> > does this sound? :
> > >
> > > "The data has been numerically analyzed and plotted with the free
> > software GNU Octave and Gnuplot".
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for the feedback. Cheers, Ismael.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > here we collected several publications citing GNU Octave. you can get
> > examples from there.
> > http://wiki.octave.org/Publications_using_Octave
> >
> > I usually use this bibtex (should be in octave.org)
> >
> > @misc{Octave,
> > author = {{Octave community}},
> > keywords = {Octave,Software},
> > title = {{GNU/Octave}},
> > url = {www.gnu.org/software/octave/},
> > year = {2011}
> > }
> >
> > You can also cite the manual
> > @book{octave2002,
> > author = {Eaton, J W},
> > isbn = {0-9541617-2-6},
> > publisher = {Network Theory Limited, http://www.octave.org},
> > title = {{GNU Octave Manual}},
> > url = {http://www.octave.org},
> > year = {2002}
> > }
> >

> I tend to use the term 'open source' or 'free, open source' rather than
> just 'free'. Are you stating this in the body text (where something like
> what you wrote would work) or in an Acknowledgements section at the end
> where something more like, "This work made extensive use of the open
> source
> GNU Octave software which is made freely available by the Octave
> development community, and the authors are grateful for their support."
> or
> something similarly gushy.
>
> Also, would like to point out that on the publications page pointed out
> above, ( http://wiki.octave.org/Publications_using_Octave )  there are a
> number of documents that were collected for that list and haven't been
> 'confirmed' because they're behind paywalls. Any of our friends at
> academic
> institutions may be able to contribute by retrieving and
> confirming/refuting a few of those documents. (they're marked on the page)

Thanks Juan Pablo and Nick for the answer. I was not thinking on "quoting" or
"citing" Octave in my paper as we do with books or articles. I think in physics
is uncommon to mention in the body of the paper which software was used to
process the data, unless it is really relevant (like with some statistical
packages that offer mathematical analysis or plotting procedure as black boxes
for the user). Because it does not make any difference if I make an average
with Octave, Matlab or with my pocket calculator (at least it should not), I
was rather thinking on an acknowledgement at the end of the paper, as when you
say Mr. X helped with this and Ms. Y with that. My question was particularly
related to the wording (is "free software" correct for instance?), i.e., this
has been answered by Nick and I will use his suggestion ("This work made
extensive use of the open source GNU Octave...").

Best regards, Ismael.
--
Ismael Núñez-Riboni
Hamburg