Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [fink-core] Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 11:55:14 -0500

n 9 November 2012 11:50, Alexander Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11/9/12 9:16 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

>> This could be fixed by ensuring that users can get a free distribution
>> of gcc on Mac OS X, but there are some great difficulties involved
>> therein, and morever, I believe that a majority of free programs
>> distributed through Fink, Macports, and Homebrew depend on non-free
>> libraries specific to Mac OS X, some of which to me do not seem to
>> fall into the GPL's system library exemption.

> Why would they _not_ fall under the system library exemption?

To fall under this exemption, the libraries have to be distributed
with the OS. The GPLese for this is "is included in the normal form of
packaging a Major Component, but which is not part of that Major
Component". Since these are non-free libraries that you have to
acquire externally instead, they do not seem to me to fall under this
exemption.

- Jordi G. H.