Re: image, imshow and similar display empty axes

From: nicos
Subject: Re: image, imshow and similar display empty axes
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 20:57:16 -0700 (PDT)

bpabbott wrote
> *** Please "reply-all" and respond at the bottom of the email ***
>
> On Nov 2, 2012, at 5:16 AM, Jan-Timm Kuhr wrote:

>>> If you try ...
>>>
>>>     h = image (rand (10))
>>>     set (h, "cdatamapping", "scaled")
>>>
>>> ... do you get what you expect?
>>>
>>> If so, you can try "imagesc()" instead of "image()"
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Thanks Ben but it does not seem to have anything to do with the scaling
>> of the color map.
>> Best,
>> Jan
>

> With Octave 3.6.3 from Fink on MacOS 10.6.8 using Gnuplot 4.6 patchlevel 0
> and AquaTerm v1.0.1.
>
> The command  image(rand(10)) produces a solid navy blue image.
> imagesc(rand(10)) produces random colors.
>
> I'm get the same result using Octave 3.4.0 from MacPorts (on MacOS 10.7.5
> with Gnuplot 4.6 patchlevel 1 and AquaTerm v1.1.1).
>
> Where did you get your Octave, Gnuplot and AquaTerm?  And what version of
> MacOS are you running?
>
> Ben

Hello,

I am not the original reporter of the issue, but I have the exact same
problem.
I am running on OS X 10.8.2, with all programs built from Macports (octave
3.6.3, gnuplot 4.6.1, aquaterm 1.1.1).

When trying to plot an image with gnuplot with aquaterm, everything seems
fine:
   plot "image.png" binary filetype=png w rgbimage

Then, when plotting a curve in octave, everything runs fine too:
   plot(rand(1, 10))
However, imaging in aquaterm provides an empty set of axes (white
background):
   im = imread('image.png');
   imagesc(im);
Then, if changing the term to x11, the image can be displayed:
   setenv("GNUTERM", "x11");
   imagesc(im);
So that it really seems that there is an issue between octave and aqua
terminal.

Nicolas