Re: Internal Precision - Symbolic

From: EduardoHenrique
Subject: Re: Internal Precision - Symbolic
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 08:40:37 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for your answer.

I know it would be easier to go to a symbolic software. But I've my scripts
all set in Octave. Unfortunately Maxima programming language differs a lot
of Octave/Matlab/Scilab and isn't "comfortable".

It seems that Matlab offers this tool (VPA), but it happen to use Maple
(comercial symbolic tool) to do the symbolic calculations. Isn't there a way
that Octave could be integrated with Maxima? Or is there a numerical
software which language is similar to Octave/Matlab and supports this
variable precision arithmetic?

If not, I was thinking about one solution to my problem, see if you agree:
Suppose I want to use VPA in every calculation in Octave. Would it be
possible to force Octave to execute a script after every calculation it
does? If so, I could force him to eliminate any digits beyond the ones I
want. The doubt is: where (in the source
code) can I add the code to force it to execute a function after any
evaluation it does?

Thanks for your help!