Internal Precision - Symbolic

From: EduardoHenrique
Subject: Internal Precision - Symbolic
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 07:36:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi.

I am a college student and I have some exercises to do. One of them need me
to implement Gaussian elimination with 3 digit-chopping arithmetic. It's not
that my answer must have only three-digit precision, but all values that are
being calculated must have this precision. The exercise wants this
particularly requirement to compare with the real solution and compute the
error provided by this poor precision.

I've done the implementation of the method, but as I was able to see, Octave
uses all it's internal precision, and that makes the error null. I didn't
find any way to reduce it's internal precision. Actually, I've installed the
symbolic package, but it didn't work out well. With matrices it didn't
change anything and with numbers, even making digits(3) it insists to give
me five digits.

I know that Octave is efficient with precision, but how can I change that in
order to make this computational error and compare it to the real value?

Thanks in advance.