Re: Octave Set Up For Beginngers

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: Octave Set Up For Beginngers
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 19:36:31 +0200

Excerpts from injoi's message of Mon Oct 01 19:07:42 +0200 2012:
> I am just starting out with Octave and I am completely lost...I am
> proficient in MATLAB but I am lost now that I am trying to go open source.
>
> Can I get some help on where to download:
> 1) GUI for Octave 3.6.2
> 2) Lower version of Octave with compatible GUI

I maintain a customization of the GUI for my classes, that intents to
be as compatible with MATLAB as possible (in terms of the look and
feel, and the Octave options and warnings). If you are using Ubuntu,
you can get packages from here:

 https://launchpad.net/~herraiz/+archive/octave-upm

There is also a package for Windows, but it is totally in Spanish:

 http://forja.rediris.es/frs/?group_id=1143

If you install the Spanish version in Windows, go to the directory
where you installed it, then to the "bin" directory, and remove the
"languages" directory. Octave should now show in English. Beware, you
may need to install the "Bibliotecas adicionales" package if the
program does not work after installation.

If you are using any other GNU/Linux system, there is also source code
you can try to compile. Have a look at http://mat.caminos.upm.es/octave/src/

Cheers,
Israel