Posting style

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Posting style
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 12:43:23 -0400

On 8 September 2012 12:03, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> Please REPLY-ALL and respond at the bottom to allow those who arrive
> late to follow along

Ben, I don't think Miriam understands what this means.

Miriam, when you hit "reply", Gmail should produce a textbox filled
with the text you're replying to, quoted with ">" symbols. This text
is editable. For example, I erased most of Ben's quote and only
reproduced the relevant part for replying. Thus you can read my email
and get enough context from it and read it in order, from top to
bottom, in order to quickly grasp what is going. This email can then
be archived publicly and be read in isolation of any other email, and
you can know that I'm replying to Ben, specifically, about his remark
about posting.

This is how email was meant to be used, but most people don't know
this anymore. The posting style you're using is called top-posting:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting#Top-posting

For historical reasons and because we've been using email and usenet
since the 1970's, this mailing list generally dislikes top-posting.

- Jordi G. H.