Re: How to get the help of @?

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: How to get the help of @?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:01:12 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 8/31/12, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: How to get the help of @?
> To: "Peng Yu" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Friday, August 31, 2012, 9:55 AM
> On 31 August 2012 12:53, Peng Yu
> <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez
> Hermoso
> > <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> it shows the document
> document of '@' from
> >>
> >> What document? It probably just isn't written for
> Octave. Can you
> >> write it? Do not use the Matlab document as a
> starting point.
> >
> > The following is found from octave pdf document. They
> can be readily
> > added to help('@').
>
> Since it can be readily added, can you prepare a patch,
> please?
>
>     http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/how-to-write-a-patch-for-octave/
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html
>
> Thanks,
> - Jordi G. H.

Jordi,

as I wrote you on different occasions, you IMO do not demonstrate understanding
of SW architecture and of proper development methodology.

This particular example shows that you apparently ignore the "single point of
change/maintenance" concept, for example, you can read about it here:
http://www.ifsq.org/single-point-of-maintenance.html .

Specifically: "The concept of a single point of maintenance dictates that
frequently used elements should be defined, and modified, in a single location.
Duplication of such elements increases the difficulty of change, may decrease
clarity and increases the likelihood of inconsistency.".

In this particular example existence of description in the PDF document and
non-existence in Octave help files illustrates the violation.

And, let me remind you, methodology is not changed by patches, it is changed by
changing (opinions/approaches of) people involved.

Regards,
  Sergei.