Re: struct weirdness

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: struct weirdness
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 10:51:25 -0400

On 25 August 2012 19:09, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Octave's language sucks. I freely admit so myself."
> and that's why I am suggesting to implement 'consistent_struct'

It is consistent. You just don't understand the consistency because
you don't understand cs-lists.

> "Octave's intended audience generally are people who don't know any other
> programming language" -
> what, people doing scientific computations are computer languages illiterate ?

Usually, yes. They say themselves "I am not a programmer, I am a just
physicist/chemist/economist." They call it "codes" instead of code,
because they are unfamiliar with how source code is treated as a mass
noun by programmers, not a count noun. They are unfamiliar with
practices such as namespaces and error checking. Octave is meant for
people who know how to do computations but are unfamiliar with
software development. Those who know software development and can
recognise a better language are already using R or Python or Julia.

> "I don't believe you've ever presented evidence that you understand what a
> cs-list is"
> in the context I do not need that understanding.

Yes, you do. You somehow refuse to attempt this understanding.

> In the example I've given 'size' works where I expect it to work:

Because you presented an example that doesn't exhibit cs-lists.

- Jordi G. H.