Re: octave 64 bit version

From: Laurent Hoeltgen
Subject: Re: octave 64 bit version
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 10:01:58 +0200

On 08/17/2012 09:42 AM, tharaka weheragoda wrote:
> Hi,
>  Does anybody know a better version of octave for ubuntu 11.10 64 bit
> version? please reply asap.urgent.
>
> Thanks in advacnce,
> tharaka

Hi,

it depends a lot on what you actually want to do. My guess is that for
99% of the tasks that one could imagine, the standard version from the
ubuntu repos will be more than enough. I have been playing around with
octave 3.2, 3.4 and 3.6 in the past and all my code has been running
happily in each version without encountering any problem.

Further, installing the packages from the ubuntu repository saves you
the hassle of compiling the whole thing yourself. Basically this is not
a big problem, but it requires that you install all the necessary
dependencies and there are quite a lot of them.

Regards,
Laurent