memory exhausted when reading 129M file

From: Zheng, Xin (NIH) [C]
Subject: memory exhausted when reading 129M file
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 14:57:48 -0400

Hi Octave users,

I am trying to use textscan to read a text file of 129M. I am running 32bit Octave 3.6.1 on Windows XP which is compiled with visual studio (octave-3.6.1-vs2010-setup-1.exe). Unluckily Octave complains "error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave's index type -- trying to return to prompt".

While I run same command in Matlab, it imports data smoothly. I wonder if there's any trick in Octave to import large file. Thank you very much in advance.

Xin Zheng