Using COM interface to write to Excel

From: BinaryGirl
Subject: Using COM interface to write to Excel
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 15:41:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I have a Matlab program that I am trying to run in Octave.  While the
majority of my program runs smoothly, I'm having a few problems with the COM
interface.  I have installed both the i/o and windows packages, and my
program runs fine with the few trouble lines commented out.

The problem is basically that I can read from the Excel file, but I can't
write any data back.

For example, this line of code works fine:

storageName = infoSheet.Range('B7').Value;

However, when I want to write the same variable to a different worksheet in
the same workbook (yes, I created a handle to the worksheet already), the
following line causes an error:

addInfoSheet.Range('B1').Value = storageName;

This line of code worked fine in Matlab, so I'm under the impression that
Octave just doesn't support this particular command.  Is there a way I can
write data back out to my Excel file while it's still open using the COM
interface?  Or is my only option to close the actxserver and then re-open
the file using xlsopen and xlswrite?

Thanks!