Re: help on Octave

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: help on Octave
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 09:18:37 -0400

On 26 June 2012 09:01, Pierpaolo <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am looking for a small help on a big problem in Octave.
>
> My problem is the follow:
>
> error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave's
> index type
> My PC configuration is:
>
> OS: win 7 64bit
> RAM: 4gb
[snip]
> With a “small” matrix (6200x6200) I had a crash with previous error string.

This matrix isn't small. It would occupy approximately 4.5 gigabytes
of memory, if stored in full. This is more RAM than you have. Octave
needs 4.5 bytes of *contiguous* memory available, so even if you had
enough RAM to store it, memory fragmentatiion might prevent you from

Use a smaller matrix, or if the matrix is sparse, use a sparse matrix type.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.