Re: Problem installing packages

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Problem installing packages
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 00:26:18 +0200

Am 29.05.2012 00:07, schrieb Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
> Okay, sorry, partially true. It's Fedora and relatives that have
> lagging on the OF packaging, and have been lagging for a long time:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OrionPoplawski/Octave_Packages I wasn't
> aware that openSUSE did package them. Good to know.
>> The fact that I compile them myself is because I prefer that
> So why do you prefer that? Do you think everyone should compile
> packages?Do you think openSUSE has wasted its time making packages?

No I do not think that it is wasted this packages serve the people who
do not want or need to test new versions of the packages when they
appear as OF releases.
(Same thing for octave test compiling most release candidates and the
development sources a standard user will most likely not do that).
Since I test the few packages which I use as soon as they appear and
sometimes simply use the svn versions my use case is just different to
the more stability driven approach in a repository.
A simple "pkg install -forge ..." within octave is not much more work
than a "zypper install ..." in the package management, but of course I
have to take care of installing the dependencies myself.
So I can be characterized as one of those people not wanting to compile
there whole system but use about 99% of package software and compile
some software myself.
(e. g. mayavi, scipy for python 3, SBCL, gambit-c ...).
> Should we tell people to ignore the openSUSE packages and make sure
> they can compile straight from OF instead and help them with all of
> their compilation woes? Is that what we should be recommending?
No, I just want to tell that I simply never see the problems mentioned
in that thread and meanwhile I use the pkg in octave for several years
(the -forge switch of course only since it appeared).
That makes me suspect that some error could probably be in the octave
package on Debian which triggers that it simply does not look right, it
should install straight into ~/octave/ if it does not overwrite octave's
standard behavior.