Re: Problem installing packages

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Problem installing packages
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 10:45:21 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message -----
[snip]

> In fact, I wish we could stop telling people to use pkg install,
> because it's a very brittle way of getting packages to people.
>
> HTH,
> - Jordi G. H.

Oh, really ? What a long way to say "buggy".

And what about people who build Octave and packages from source ?
And what about GPL requiring both the source and build instructions from that
source to be available ?
AFAIR, GPL explicitly forbids obscuring ways of building from source.

Was the OP trying to install packages globally ?

I judge from '/usr/local' in:

"
couldn't create installation directory
/usr/share/octave/packages/combinatorics-1.0.9 : Permission denied
error: called from `pkg>copy_files' in file
/usr/share/octave/3.6.1/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1569, column 7
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.6.1/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 876, column 5
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.6.1/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 383, column 9
".

Regards,
  Sergei.