Re: Problem installing packages

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Problem installing packages
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 11:11:29 -0700

On 5/21/12 10:45 AM, notMyUsername wrote:
> I hate to extend this thread but...  The issue I was having above regarding
> package installation with Octave from Homebrew has been fixed and I have
> Octave working fine on Snow Leopard, but I am now having another problem,
> this time on Lion (10.7.3/Xcode 4.3.2/i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC)
> 4.2.1) only.  When I try to install the miscellaneous-1.1.0.tar.gz package I
> receive the following error:
>
> partarray.cc:42:31: error: variable length array of non-POD element type
>       'Array<octave_idx_type>'
>   Array<octave_idx_type> bidc [maxdims], eidc [maxdims];
>                               ^
> partarray.cc:42:47: error: variable length array of non-POD element type
>       'Array<octave_idx_type>'
>   Array<octave_idx_type> bidc [maxdims], eidc [maxdims];
>
> Is this also a Homebrew issue or is this something with octave?

Are you sure that you're building miscellaneous with llvm-gcc?  You can
verify this by running

mkoctfile -p CC

I have to *force* Fink's miscellaneous package to build with
llvm-gcc-4.2 on Lion because using the clang compiler (which is our
default) results in these errors.  It sounds like you're building with
clang, too.  What I use to work around this is to set the CC environment
variable before starting Octave, e.g.

$ export CC=llvm-gcc-4.2
$ octave
> pkg install -forge miscellaneous

Octave's build process by default encodes whatever compiler is being
used to build it into the mkoctfile build tool, and it sounds like
Homebrew uses clang to build Octave.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison