Re: upgrading in same installation dir?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: upgrading in same installation dir?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 11:35:42 -0400

On 11 May 2012 09:33, Dan Muresan <address@hidden> wrote:
> suppose I have an octave version (from the hg stable branch)
> installed in /opt/octave. -forge packages have been installed there
> too (with pkg -global -forge).
>
> Then I do an update (hg pull -u). Is it then safe to "make install"
> to the same directory (which I guess overwrites the old
> installation)?

This should work in most cases, but in some rare circumstances old
installed files may remain and could interfere. I recommend you wipe
/opt/octave before you re-run make install.

Note that if you just want to follow along development, there's a
run-octave script in the build directory that you can use so you don't
need to re-run make install.

> Or do I need to clean the installation directory, "make install" and
> then re-install the -forge packages?

The Forge packages are compiled relative to your Octave version. If
your Octave version changes, you also need to recompile the Forge
packages.

- Jordi G. H.