Re: Plotting a function of 3 variables ?

From: Ismael Diego Nunez-Riboni
Subject: Re: Plotting a function of 3 variables ?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 14:07:52 +0200

> > I think what you want is
>
> > mesh(x,y,z,v)
>
> > where v determines the color of the surface from colormap
>
> > check: help  mesh

> I'm afraid, as with the other responses, you think wrong.
>
> The mesh function plots surfaces (functions of TWO variables) in 3-D space
> with the colormap determining the colour of the surface. I want to plot a
> function of THREE variables ie. a rectangular lattice of points in 3-space
> with the colours of the lattice points indicating the value of the
> function.
>
> This really isn't that complicated a concept, surely there must be someone
> on the list who understands what I am trying to do even it they don't know
> how to achieve it ?

The fourth variable in Willi's answer is "v", it gives you the magnitude of
your function with colors:

"     The color of the mesh is derived from the `colormap' and the value
     of Z.  *Optionally the color of the mesh can be specified
     independent of Z, by adding a fourth matrix, C*"

I see, thus, that you can plot here a function of 3 variables v(x,y,z), as you
want. Otherwise and assuming that the people in this list are as intelligent as
you and I are (and some of them surely more), consider that your request not
being understood is a sign that your explanation of the problem is be not so
clear... :-)
--
Ismael Núñez-Riboni
Hamburg