Octave in Google Summer of Code 2012

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2012
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:53:50 -0400

Good news everyone!

I'm pleased to announce that Octave will be mentoring three students
this summer under the Google Summer of Code programme.

Max Dawid (fisheater in #octave) will be primarily mentored by jwe on
implementing JIT compiling for Octave, which should considerably speed
up the interpreter. Max has already implemented other features in the
interpreter, such as nested function support.

Benjamin Lewis (ben_zen in #octave) will work with Nir Krakauer on
creating a least squares spectral analysis toolbox for Octave-Forge.
Ben is a strong student who has demonstrated the ability to work
independently and absorb sophisticated concepts quickly.

Michael Goffioul and I will work with Jacob Dawid (xhoch3 in #octave)
to finish the native Octave GUI that is currently half-finished in our
development sources. Almost all of the current GUI implementation is
Jacob's work.

However, mentoring is really done by the entire Octave community!
Please welcome our GSoC students and answer their questions on the
mailing list or in our IRC channel.

Here's to a productive summer,
- Jordi G. H.