Re: Cody

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Cody
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:58:32 +0200

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Bart Vandewoestyne
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> At home, I use GNU Octave, but at work i decided to use it's 'commercial
> counterpart', just so I could compare the two from a more objective point of
> view.
>
> I quite recently found out about Cody:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/cody
>
> and I must admit it's quite fun and addictive ;-)  I've currently hacked my
> way up to the 11th position:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/cody/players
>
> I'm writing this email just to point you guys to the little message below my
> name ;-)
>
> Most of the problems can also be solved using GNU Octave.  So to the other
> GNU Octave and Open Source enthusiasts who like some problem solving, I
> would say: just go ahead, work your way up there and feel free to mention
> 'Octave' and 'Open Source' or something like that in your Personal Profile
> message... that would be way cool! :-)
>
> Regards,
> Bart

Hi,
Nice, but there is an issue here that Jordi pointed out many times. If
you use cody you are accepting the terms of use. Item b says
"You agree not to copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast,
display, sell, license, alter, modify, create derivate works from,
frame, mirror or otherwise exploit any part of the Site unless
explicitly permitted by MathWorks. MathWorks and its licensors reserve
all rights not expressly granted in and to the Site and the Content.
“Content” includes the text, software, scripts, graphics, photos,
sounds, music, videos, audiovisual combinations, interactive features,
and all other materials you may view on, access through, or contribute
to the Site."

Therefore if you put your solution in Cody you cannot use it, for
example, to improve GNU/Octave. If you want to keep your skills sharp,
check Project Euler (Copyrighted under CC-NC-SA, which is not GPL
compatible, but at least it is free as in "use it but do not make
money out of it"). The project is not Octave specific.

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----