Re: "optim needs miscellaneous >= 1.0.10" problem

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: "optim needs miscellaneous >= 1.0.10" problem
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 00:31:33 +0200

On 4/1/2012 11:35 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:
On 4/1/12 2:19 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 1 April 2012 17:02, Sergei Steshenko<address@hidden> wrote:
I'm wondering hoe many years it will take to convince that Octave
and packages should be released in conjunction with each other.
We're not doing this to spite you. OF Packages are released separately
because it's too much work to do it together and OF package developers
sometimes see Octave as a foreign black box instead of something they
should work with.

- Jordi G. H.
It's definitely hard to coordinate releases when you're a group of
volunteers working in geographically disparate locations.

Downstream packagers of Octave and Octave Forge can and do make up
bundles for their own distributions. For example, I've made up bundles
for the Fink project on Mac OS X for Octave 3.0.5, 3.2.4, 3.4.3, 3.6.0
and 3.6.1. When an Octave Forge package is updated, but not compatible
with older Octaves, I keep the old version available.

Since Fink is a source-based distribution, fundamentally, this relies on
the Octave Forge developers being so kind as to retain the older
versions of their package sources. :-) I definitely appreciate this.

Exactly the same for cygwin.
Together with the release of the octave-3.6.1 package
I bundled a certain amount of forge packages revising my previous
bundle for 3.4.2.
Same package were added, some packages were downloaded
from SVN repository as latest patches to guarantee 3.6.1
compatibility were not yet available on the released packages.

There are more than 89 packages in forge, most are good
some are immature and some are old and broken with no more maintainers.
Others need dependencies not available on cygwin, so at
2012-02-24 I took only 64 packages.
Alexander is making the same for Fink and Rafel for Debian.

So Sergei please cool down, every one here is gifting its time
to the community.
Help is welcome but suggestions how the others should spend
their time are useless.

Regards
Marco