confused MacOS octave newbie (graphics)

From: dstrozzi
Subject: confused MacOS octave newbie (graphics)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:08:54 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'm a bit flummoxed getting setup to use octave on MacOS.  A graphics issue
is what I'm stuck against, but I thought I'd explain my situation.  Maybe
there's a better way to go.

This is motivated by helping a colleague use a bunch of matlab scripts I've
written, without buying matlab.  I hope this doesn't become a case in point
for spending more time than buying the commercial product :)

I've setup octave via fink.  I'm not a huge fink user, but it's on my
system.  I have octave 3.6.1 installed and happily running this way.
Macports is also on my system (not updated for a while).  'port list octave'
and octave-devel give 3.2.4 and 3.4.3, resp.  Both of which are far behind
3.6.1!

So 3.6.1 from fink runs.  All the math seems to work.  The issue is
graphics.  My goal is to have plots with nice-sized (meaning bigger than
default) text for axes labels.  I have a matlab script that sets default
figure properties and makes me happy.  It seems octave doesn't quite
cooperate with it.

I've tried:

* gnuplot and aquaterm - my script changes the font size, but the text (esp
y label) overlaps the y tick numbers.  In matlab itself they don't.  I can
get around this by doing something like 'ylabel({'foo','','',''})' (put in
blank lines).  But I have a lot of plotting funcs, so I'd probably want to
modify ylabel itself.  Which is doable.

* gnuplot and X11 - similar to aquaterm

* fltk - fink has 1.3, and I can use this with graphics_toolkit('fltk').
But lots of things don't work, like symbols, superscripts, e.g.
xlabel('\nu^2') gives exactly 'nu^2' not the Greek char. or 2 superscript.

Any help is appreciated!

Dave