Re: mailing list hard to find

From: Carnë Draug
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:51:44 +0000

On 7 March 2012 08:01, Dan Muresan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, I have had trouble locating this mailing list. First of all, the
> sourceforge page

The sourceforge page is for the octave forge project which is not the
octave project.

> http://octave.sourceforge.net/archive.html
>
> (which is the first reasonable result that comes up in Google when
> searching for "octave mailing list", apart from the useless savanah
> pages) points people to the non-existent
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/archive.html
>
> (I guess this was 404'ed instead of being redirected, at some point).

The octave site updated the site a few days, links to us are bound to
be broken all around the interweb. I just updated this link on the
octave-forge site. If you find more let me know.

> Then, the actual homepage
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/support.html) does mention this
> mailing list, but it's
>
> 1) buried deep in the support section, and

Before we update the site a few days ago we had a separate page for
each support section. I could never find what I wanted.

Also, the text is "If your question isn't answered in the FAQ, the
manual, or the Wiki, the address@hidden mailing list is a good
resource.". This means that people should search on the other places
before bothering asking users on the mailing list about plotting a
line. It also means that they are less likely to need that link
compared to the others so it makes sense to appear after them on the
support section.

Carnë