Re: function help

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: function help
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 16:25:32 -0500

On Feb 25, 2012, at 1:56 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 25-Feb-2012, Doug Stewart wrote:
>
> | I certainly agree, any body else have some thoughts?
>
> The usual thing to do with a Texinfo manual is to have something like
>
>  @node Matrix Manipulation
>  @chapter Matrix Manipulation
>
>  There are a number of functions available for checking to see if the
>  elements of a matrix meet some condition, and for rearranging the
>  elements of a matrix.  For example, Octave can easily tell you if all
>  the elements of a matrix are finite, or are less than some specified
>  value.  Octave can also rotate the elements, extract the upper- or
>  lower-triangular parts, or sort the columns of a matrix.
>
>  @menu
>  * Finding Elements and Checking Conditions::
>  * Rearranging Matrices::
>  * Special Utility Matrices::
>  * Famous Matrices::
>  @end menu
>
>  @node Finding Elements and Checking Conditions
>  @section Finding Elements and Checking Conditions

> I'm not a big fan of the enumerated list, but I can see it working in
> some cases.
>
> The menu already provides the hyperlinks to the subsections.  The
> difference with what Ben proposes is that the introductory material is
> all together with the menu following.  I don't know how to express in
> Texinfo what Ben proposes.
>
> Instead, I think the manual just needs more introductory material at
> the beginning of each chapter that has multiple sections (or each
> section that has multiple subsections).  It could also use more
> exposition apart from the function docstrings that are included
> automatically.
>
> jwe

Doug,

Please modify your proposed changeset to match John's description, I'll push
the change. I'm not as familiar with texinfo as I am with LaTeX and beamer, so
I expect there will be additional editing before we're done. After we have a
reasonable example on how to approach adding introductrory material we can move
on to other sections of the manual.

Ben