Re: function help

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: function help
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:09:40 -0500

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM, damian.harty <address@hidden> wrote:
No problem, I think some small additions along these lines would really help:

11.1 Defining Functions

> The function body consists of Octave statements. It is the most important
> part of the definition, because it says what the function should actually
> do.

+ The following examples will work when entered directly from the command
prompt. To avoid repeated definition of functions it is convenient to enter
those definitions into files for re-use. Some non-intuitive behaviour can
occur when performing this - see section 11.9 for detail on including
functions inside an m-file. This does not represent a bug and is designed-in
behaviour, but is nevertheless a trap for the uninitiated.

+ Alternatively, individual functions can be stored in their own file of the
same name - the function foo can be stored in foo.m - see section 11.8 for
the difference between a list of commands, which execute identically to the
interactive examples below, and a dedicated /function file/.

> For example, here is a function that, when executed, will ring the
> bell...etc

Any use?

Damian

-----
Senior Research Fellow - Vehicle & System Dynamics
Coventry University
United Kingdom

I propose an introduction section like this.
This would be at the start of the chapter.

@node  Introduction to Function and Scipt Files
@section  Introduction to Function and Scipt Files

There are six different things covered in this section.
1) Typing in a function at the command prompt.
2) Storing a group of commands in a file - called a script file.
3) Storing a function in a file - called a function file.
4) Sub-functions in function files.
5) Multiple functions in one script file.
6) Private functions.

Both function files and script files end with an extension of .m
If you want more than one independent functions in a file it
must be a script file, and to use these functions you must execute
the script file before you can use the functions that are in
the script file.

--
DAS

https://linuxcounter.net/user/206392.html