Re: Mkoctfile and Fortran

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Mkoctfile and Fortran
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:32:45 -0500

On 02/19/2012 05:25 PM, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
I have a very large fortran applicaton, 17,688 lines, I frequently use
with octave 3.4.3.

I do

    fortran-application < infile > tmpfile | perl-script > outfile

I am confused about your intent for redirection of stdout to tempfile: fort-app > tmpfile will not produce anything on stdout so the perl-script doesn't get any input data.

Then, in octave, I load outfile...

I want to convert the fortran application to an oct file so I can avoid
the middle steps.  Also, I often change the amount of data I extract
from tmpfile, so I plan to convert the fortran application to return all
output to octave.

I have created a couple simple oct files from C++.

Are your intermediate files large enough so that writing them to disk and reading back is an issue? If you just want to streamline the process so that you don't have to go to shell and back to octave and back to shell again, you can call your programs from octave using the system() function. You can even capture the stdout of the program :

[status,output]=system('mycommand')