Re: cross-correlation for image registration

From: Matt Nicholas
Subject: Re: cross-correlation for image registration
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:02:51 -0500

On 2/21/12 5:59 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 16 February 2012 17:04, Matthew Nicholas<address@hidden>  wrote:
Quoting Carnë Draug<address@hidden>:
On 15 February 2012 21:15, Matt Nicholas<address@hidden>  wrote:
This might work for image registration with a small set of cases (eg bright spot on a dark background),
This is exactly my case. I do fluorescence microscopy, bright spots
moving on a black background that I want to track. Since it also
passes the example here
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/doc/matlab/toolbox/images/normxcorr2.html I
didn't bother about it anymore.

I also happen to be a microscopist, which is where I do most of my image processing (a side project led me to use normxcorr2 for other types of images), so it is nice to know that it works well in this case!

  If I can find the time, I'll try to implement it and see how far I get.
If you are able to implement this, that would be great. I'll gladly
add it to the image package. I don't know thought if it would be
better to fix the coeff option of xcorr2 and keep normxcorr2 a wrapper
for it though.
That is a good point. To be honest, I am not sure whether the coeff option is 'wrong' or just follows some other definition of normalization than the one I want in this case. I'll try to figure this out and report back if I come up with anything.

Thanks again,
Matt