Re: Problem with simple graphics

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Problem with simple graphics
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:19:42 -0500

*** please reply-all so that others may benefit from our exchange ***

*** also respond at the bottom so that the entire exchange can be read from top
to bottom ***

On Feb 19, 2012, at 10:28 AM, Bernard Abramson wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2012, at 9:36 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Feb 18, 2012, at 5:40 PM, Bernard Abramson wrote:
>>
>>> I have the current version of Octave (3.4.0) running on the current version
>>> of Mac OS X.  I have installed Gnuplot.  I have corrected the
>>> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH problem in  Gnuplot-4.4.3.  However, when I appempt to
>>> plot in Octave I obtain:
>>>
>>> octave-3.4.0:1> sombrero(25)
>>> error: popen2: popen2 (child): unable to start process -- Operation not
>>> permitted
>>> error: called from:
>>> error:
>>> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.4.0/m/plot/__gnuplot_open_stream__.m
>>>  at line 30, column 44
>>> error:
>>> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/3.4.0/m/plot/__gnuplot_drawnow__.m
>>>  at line 72, column 19
>>> sh: /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot: /bin/sh: bad
>>> interpreter: Operation not permitted
>>> error: `unset' undefined near line 2 column 1
>>> warning: broken pipe -- some output may be lost
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Bernard Abramson
>>
>> What do you get when you type ...
>>
>>      system ('which gnuplot')
>>
>> ... I get ...
>>
>>      /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot
>>
>> If so, what happens when you type ? ....
>>
>>      system gnuplot
>>
>> By "current verrsion of MacOS X do you refer to 10.7.3?
>>
>> Ben
>>
> Ben,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> system('which gnuplot')
>
> yields the same answer you quoted.
>
> system gnuplot
>
> yields:
>
> sh: /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot: /bin/sh: bad
> interpreter: Operation not permitted
> ans =  126
>
> Yes, I'm using OS X 10.7.3
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Whatever is wrong must be minor as
> there ought to be many many successful installations of Octave on Mac.
>
> Bernard

It looks like the change you made to the gnuplot script introduced a syntax
error.

Any chance you edited the file below with Textedit ?

        /Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot

If so, you'll need to be sure to save it as plain text. When saving be sure you
select "Plain Text Encoding [Unicode (UTF-8)] and uncheck the box to make sure
".txt" isn't used as an extension.

If the gnuplot script was saved correctly, then I suspect you made a mistake in
modifying it ... or the instructions you followed contained a mistake.

We recently updated the instructions for fixing gnuplot under Lion. See the
README at the link below.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20MacOSX%20Binary/2011-04-21%20binary%20of%20Octave%203.4.0/

Ben