Re: waitbar ?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: waitbar ?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:30:03 -0500

On Feb 14, 2012, at 6:04 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2012, at 4:58 PM, LinuxOctave wrote:
>
>>> You really need gfortran.
>>
>>> You either do not have development headers (*.h files) installed, or
>>> g77 is not compatible
>>> with the run-time libraries.
>>
>> So, I removed g77 and installed gfortran.
>>
>> I'm still stuck on "configure: error: You are required to have BLAS and
>> LAPACK libraries"
>>
>> How can I install the proper/compatible BLAS and LAPACK libraries for Octave
>> 3.6?
>
> I may not have everything exactly correct below, but the process below should
> cover about all that is needed to build Octave 3.6 and then install via
> apt-get.
>
> The dependencies for 3.6.x are mostly the same as for 3.2.x. You should start
> with ...
>
>       sudo apt-get build-deps octave3.2
>
> ... after that you should be able to build Octave-3.6 by ...
>
>       ./autogen.sh
>       ./configure
>       make
>
> If you're using released sources, you don't need to autogen.
>
> Once you've done that you can test drive by ...
>
>       ./run-octave
>
> If all looks ok, you can create a deb package and install it by ...
>
>       sudo checkinstall make install
>
>       sudo dpkg -i octave-local-3.6.0.deb
>
> If you decide to update you installed octave, first remove the old one.
>
>       apt-get remove octave-local-3.6.0
>
> Ben

I just went through the process on Ubuntu. First I installed octave's
dependencies and the checkinstall package.

        sudo apt-get install checkinstall
        sudo apt-get build-deps octave3.2

Then from the directory containing octave's sources ...

        ./autogen.sh
        ./configure
        make

Next, I used checkinstall to produce the deb file. This will also install the
new octave package. The checkinstall will ask a few questions. I used the
defaults for all of them. The one caveat is that developers sources often have
version numbers like 3.7.0+. When asked, this will need to be modified to
eliminate the "+".

        sudo checkinstall make install

At this point the deb file was created *and* installed. To remove it ...

        sudo dpk -r octave

Ben