Re: Octave 3.4.3 for Mingw; IMRead

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave 3.4.3 for Mingw; IMRead
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 12:26:43 -0800 (PST)

ijourneaux wrote

>> Under 3.2.4 I was using
>> I=imread('test7+Helio+Felt+1.jpg', 'jpg');
>> which matches the MatLab syntax.
>> Under 3.4.3, caling imread this way produces an the unobvious error
>> listed above. I had to remove the fmt paramater from the call  to imread
>> for the script to work correctly.
>> Thanks for the help narrowing the problem down. With this change the rest
>> of my script works correctly.
>>

> I finally got around to installing version 3.6.0 and I just wanted to
> confirm that this bug still exists and the same work around works.

Earlier in the thread there was doubt exposed whether this really is a bug
or a "missing feature".

imread internally calls __magick_read__ . Typing
  help __magick_read__
gives:

octave:17> help __magick_read__
`__magick_read__' is a function from the file
C:\Programs\Octave\3.6.0\lib\octave\3.6.0\oct\i686-pc-mingw32\__magick_read__.oct

 -- Function File: M = __magick_read__(FNAME, INDEX)
 -- Function File: [M, COLORMAP] = __magick_read__(FNAME, INDEX)
 -- Function File: [M, COLORMAP, ALPHA] = __magick_read__(FNAME, INDEX)
     Read images with ImageMagick++.  In general you should not be
     using this function.  Instead use `imread'.

     See also: imread

....so it seems the second parameter to imread should be a number (integer)
pointing to some figure index in the image file container (I suppose for
something like animated gifs that contain multiple images; or maybe even
movies, to read a specific frame).

If you want you can report this bug in the tracker, i.e. that the
documentation of imread.m is inadequate and the error message you get is
confusing because of the incomplete help text.
Better yet, post a fixed help text with it (it isn't hard, just look at
imread.m's help text).

Philip