Re: Getting complex numbers results instead of expected real numbers

From: ant
Subject: Re: Getting complex numbers results instead of expected real numbers
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:16:32 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for your good suggestions, they are very useful for a beginner.
However I'm still puzzled by the c0's showing as complex.

For example, since the c0 are all natural numbers (20, 30, 40, ..., 220) why
I'm I getting complex numbers like 20 + 0000i,... in the end?

Letting c0 = 20 and changing the code to include one more line
        c0  #newline
    xstar = OptimalClosure()
    info_vec = [info_vec; c0 xstar];

OUTPUT:
c0 =  20
xstar = 9.6388e+000 + 6.0778e-054i
info_vec =
        20.0000 +  0.0000i    9.6388 +  0.0000i

My understanding is the following. Since info_vec has an element - xstar -
that is complex, Octave "promotes" c0 to a complex number too, because now
info_vec is a complex matrix. Is this correct?
Guess that, if so, this may cause quite a few surprises, and be difficult to
debug if the complex numbers arise unexpectedly.