Re: why has octave started closing the second octave's window opens?

From: Macy
Subject: Re: why has octave started closing the second octave's window opens?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:54:02 -0800

BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY IS MISSING:
 I have over 100 complex entertwined programs that use the 'old'
gnuplot routines for setting colors and setting ranges and setting
overlays, even by their very nature of update timing create smooth
'virtual' videos.
 One example of custom plotting routine, plot a complex function as a
line floating in space, with proper proportions etc. can rotate the
line around to view along the time line, or tilt and view the
real-complex values [cannot do this with new plot functions, updates
are too slow]

because....PLOT SPEED IS SLOW
example of slow speed:
for me, this command creates a great, manipulateable(sp?) 3D display
> gsplot randn(250,200);
which can be moved around with mouse, rotated, tilted, etc. Although
delay for update to any position change is noticeable, more like
hesitation, delay is acceptible.

New plot routine is so slow that it yields the EXACT same speed with
only a 25 by 25 matrix. When bogs down, display is rendered useless
during a transition! Plus, 25 by 25 is too coarse for my work.

An outstanding example, the 'Mexican Hat' in octave's example with
only 25 by 25 takes many seconds to update with the slightest shift.
The delay [and useless interim display] are real nuisances when
looking for subtle traits in my results.

So, why does octave open then close?  how do I know the latest
wouldn't do the same?

- Robert