any functions like 'fspecial.m'(Gaussian blur filter) for binary file?

From: Minkyung Kersti Son
Subject: any functions like 'fspecial.m'(Gaussian blur filter) for binary file?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 04:29:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello, users!

I want to blur my binary files having a numerical value for each grid point.
(e.g., seismograms of seismic exploration, having little low frequency
component and much noise.)

I thought that the function, fspecial.m could help me.
'Gaussian blur', one of 'fspecial.m' is like below..
http://www.mathworks.co.kr/help/toolbox/images/ref/fspecial.html

But 'fspecial.m' looks like a tool for images not binary files.
Does 'fspecial' works for binary files?
Or is there any way to convert images (after blurred by 'fspecial') to
binary files?

Though I tried applying low-pass filtering using filtfilt or filter to my
binary files,
only what I got were binary files vibrating unstably.

Is any method or function to sooth or blur binary files?