Re: Package installation issues

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: Package installation issues
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 21:06:10 +0100

On 1/2/2012 7:05 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 2 January 2012 12:30, Børge Strand-Bergesen<address@hidden>  wrote:
That's good to know. The package installation process may be a bit
daunting to some, new users in particular. So I really appreciate
"full package" being available. Most people have the disk space to
spare anyway.

The last time we did this, we had to deal with oct2mat issues for a
couple of years. This is happened because people installed "all"
packages without trying to understand what they were installing or
why. It's not just an oct2mat problem, for example, the nan package
fundamentally changes how Octave handles nans. Plus, many Octave-Forge
packages replace Octave functions, although at least this is warned
about nowadays. Most people do not need all Octave-Forge packages
installed at any rate.

So if you do this, just please be careful, and let's not repeat those
embarrassments. It's not just a matter of not installing oct2mat.

I suggest to not auto load any packages.
This is my solution for the cygwin forge bundle package

- Jordi G. H.

Regards
Marco