Re: where to put downloaded packages

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: where to put downloaded packages
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:32:41 +0000

On 30 December 2011 12:09, Sachinthaka Abeywardana
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> So I've downloaded the statistics package onto my downloads folder (in
> Ubuntu) and when I do:
>
> pkg install statistics-1.1.0.tar.gz

> This is ofcourse expected considering it doesnt know where my downloads
> folder is.
>

> My question is in a Linux (Ubuntu) environment where would should I keep the
> downloaded package so that I do not get this error.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Sachin

You need to change your working directory as you would do from a
command line. Use the command 'cd /path/to/directory/where/file/is'.

If you are using octave 3.4 or later, you don't need to download the
package, just use the command "pkg install -forge pkgname". If you are
not, you probably should.

Carnë