controlling octave from a C program

From: dtran11
Subject: controlling octave from a C program
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 11:07:38 -0800 (PST)

I currently use Matlab's Engine in my C program to execute user defined m
files through a dedicated slave matlab process. Is there such a thing in
Octave? I know you can compile the octave libs to interpret m files from
within a standalone c program but if there is a way to control an octave
process via pipes or whatever, that would be better.

Thanks.