Re: How to add non-English characters to figures

From: lukshuntim
Subject: Re: How to add non-English characters to figures
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 21:43:54 +0800

On 12/06/2011 07:41 PM, Weipeng He wrote:
> ? 2011?12?05? 23:44, Pablo Fernandez ??:
>>
>>     , I want put some (maybe more than 20) text labels beside the
>>     specified points on the figure. (Using function *text*). Maybe it
>>     is not doable to add these labels manually.
>>     I am wondering whether there is some problem with my font manager
>>     or encoding. Or nobody can get it work in Octave?
>>

>>     Someone has encountered the same problem(please refer to
>>
>> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Graphic-accents-and-plot-command-in-octave-3-3-53-td3032491.html).
>>
>>     As said in that post, he can get it work in Octave 3.2.4, while it
>>     doesn't work in Octave 3.3.53.
>>

>> Hi! I am new to octave and to this mailing list.
>>
>> I think that you need UTF-8 support in gnuplot. Read this:
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/octave-bug-tracker/2010-12/msg00238.html
>>

>> I hope this helps. Pablo
>>

> Thanks for your advice.
>
> I tried plotting Chinese characters in gnuplot. It works fine.
> I edited ~/.Xresources and ran xrdb -merge according to the instructions
> in the page you gave. However, octave still don't work.
>
> Is there any other setting I have to change?
>
> Weipeng

Hi,

In (a self-compiled) octave 3.4.3 in debian/sid, I can see the chinese
characters if the graphics backed gnuplot is used, but not with the fltk
backend. It seems to require "set term wxt enhanced" in ~/.gnuplot as
well. With the wxt terminal, gnuplot uses the fontconfig mechanism.

See if it works for you.

Regards,
ST