Re: Help-octave Digest, Vol 68, Issue 71

From: Joe Smith
Subject: Re: Help-octave Digest, Vol 68, Issue 71
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 11:27:08 -0800 (PST)

I saved the .deb file from the link you provided.   I then ran

sudo dpkg -i octave.....deb

Again, I have no idea what I am doing so this is all a guess on my part without having detailed instructions.

It seems to create a directory under the /usr/share area.    If I run QtOctave, it still uses the old Octave.  So I manually tried to force the link for Octave.  This seems to allow QtOctave to find the new version, but there must be more to it.  When I check the version, it shows all the packages I had installed with the older version.  When I tried to run a m file that uses a package, it fails.    Any details on how to install this version of Octave would be helpful.   Again, I am not a UNIX user or a programmer, so any details would be great.  Thanks