Re: textread error / question

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: textread error / question
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:36:34 -0500

On Dec 2, 2011, at 2:35 PM, Rick T wrote:

> Greetings All
>
> I'm trying to read in a text file with comma delimited data see text of
> what's in data.txt below but I keep getting an error
> feval: function `print_usage' not found
>
> text1,eq1=a+b*c
> text2,eq2=b+c*d
> text3,eq3=c+a*a
>
> This the command I use
> [names,equation]=textread('data.txt', '%s%s', 'delimiter', ',')
>
> I have the io package installed and I'm using ubuntu 10.04 with octave 3.2.4
>
> Thanks

With Octave 3.4.x, I tried ran the attached "rick.m" and obtained ...

rick
names =
{
  [1,1] = text1
  [2,1] = text2
  [3,1] = text3
}
equation =
{
  [1,1] = eq1=a+b*c
  [2,1] = eq2=b+c*d
  [3,1] = eq3=c+a*a
}

Since you are seeing "feval: function `print_usage' not found", it appears that
there are two problems.

First, textread() or something it calls is throwing an error via print_usage().
I don't think textread.m was part of Octave's core functions when Octave-3.2.4
was released.

What do you get when you type "which textread" ?

Do you know where you got this function? Perhaps it is not compatible with
3.2.4 ?

Secondly, it appears that print_usage() is not in your path.

What do you get when you type "path" ?

And just to be sure, what do you get when you type "which print_usage" ?

Ben