Re: Can't install octave-forge packages in a 32-bit OS X build, but can

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: Can't install octave-forge packages in a 32-bit OS X build, but can in a 64-bit one
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 13:59:27 -0500

On 11/6/11 1:10 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2011, at 12:52 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:

>>> I reviewed some old emails.  I expect problems if autogen.sh is run using
>>> Apple's version. When building the docs, I had encountered errors and
>>> warning such as ...
>>>
>>>     warning: invalid character `' (ASCII 0) near line 92, column 2
>>>
>>>     error: invalid character `' (ASCII 0) near line 164, column 2
>>>
>>> In any event, I updated by Fink packages, and am still able to build octave
>>> using my build script. Over the next few days I'll try modifying my script
>>> to reflect the differences in Fink's info file.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Well and good, but can you install octave-forge packages?  _That's_ the
>> problem I'm having.
>>
>> Octave _builds_, with minimal warnings, for me.  And the builds look
>> pretty much the same on i386, where pkg won't install anything, and on
>> x86_64, where pkg works.
>
> I plan to build using a script that closely follows the Fink info file, and
> check that the cs-list problem is absent.
>
> Once that works, I'll modify the octave343.info file and build and install
> with that.
>
> At that point, I'll be able to try to install a package.
>
> My builds are slow (> 1hr) and can only try in my spare time. I expect my
> progress will be slow.
>
> Ben

In parallel, I'm doing to do rebuilds of identical Octave-3.4.3 variants
(with atlas and using fltk-x11) on cleaned-out 32-bit and 64-bit setups
on the same machine:

1)  To make sure that the same packages are installed by both Finks.
2)  To make sure that any external stuff from the system is identical.